Embryo Glue in IVF | Benefits of Embryo Glue in IVF
Embryo transfer is an important phase of an IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) cycle. After the embryo transfer, the embryo moves towards the uterine lining or the endometrium, interacts, and attaches to it for further growth. This process is called implantation. A good quality embryo implants itself when the environment within the uterus is favorable, without uterine defects and the uterine receptivity is supportive. Sometimes, even in conditions of good uterine receptivity and embryo quality, the embryo fails to implant itself.
For such conditions of implantation failure, researchers have found a medium of embryo growth called the embryo glue. The embryo glue is a highly concentrated hyaluronan medium with recombinant human albumin. Studies have shown that the uterine layer develops a chemical substance called hyaluronan or hyaluronic acid at the moment of implantation that aids communication between the embryo and endometrium. Hyaluronan is a protein complex present and developed within the body to keep the tissues well-hydrated and lubricated. The hyaluronan acts as a glue between the embryo and endometrium.
In the embryo glue technique, the embryos developed during the IVF/ICSI process are placed in hyaluronan solution. This creates an environment similar to that of the uterus for the embryo and the embryos dipped in hyaluronan stick with the uterine lining for further embryo development.
According to statistics, the embryo glue technique has shown good, prominent results. Some of the noted benefits of embryo glue are:
• Enhanced chances of successful implantation by 34%
• Improved clinical pregnancy rates by 21% and live birth rates by 10%.
• The thickening of the embryo due to the viscous hyaluronan prevents the drifting of embryos and reduces the possibilities of an ectopic pregnancy.
• Studies have proven that hyaluronan causes no harm to the embryo structure or quality.
Indications of embryo glue
Implantation failure is one of the primary indications of embryo glue. The other indications of the hyaluronic gluing technique are:
• Women with advanced maternal age.
• Implantation failure even during a most-probable donor cycle.
• Women having tubal disorders such as blocked, damaged, or diseased fallopian tubes.
• Couples who have experienced issues with implantation especially when the uterus environment was favorable and the embryo quality too was good.
• Patients with recurrent implantation failure.
• Couples who have had 2 or more IVF cycle failures.
• Women with good uterine lining conditions, uterine receptivity but have had an implantation failure.
• Couples with unexplained infertility
• Couples with IVF failure where the cause of failure is not known.
• Couples who have faced implantation failure despite no uterine issues such as uterus distortion, polyps, or fibroids.
Omya fertility centre in Delhi uses this uniquely and recently designed technique in its well-equipped laboratories. Our fertility experts grow the embryos in a hyaluronan enriched medium. The hyaluronan-coated embryos have receptors similar to that of the uterine lining. Such embryos are transferred safely into the uterus. Connect with our fertility experts for detailed information on embryo glue and treatment.