Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) also known as artificial insemination is an assisted reproductive procedure where the sperm obtained from the male partner is placed into the female reproductive tract at the right time of ovulation for fertilization and implantation. IUI is performed to treat different fertility conditions. When IUI should be done & the indications that require IUI treatment are as follows:
• Endometriosis:Endometriosis occurs when the endometrial lining of the uterus grows beyond the limits of the uterus. In women with endometriosis, IUI can be performed as the first treatment approach with fertility medications that can work along with the IUI procedure.
• Mild male fertility factor:Male infertility is when men having low sperm concentration, poor sperm motility (movement), or morphologically abnormal sperms can overcome these problems through IUI. Good quality sperms can be separated and inseminated through IUI.
• Cervical factors:The cervix is the region below the uterus. The mucus produced during ovulation allows the sperm to travel smoothly through the vagina into the fallopian tubules. Thick mucus can impede the sperm’s journey and prevent it from reaching the egg. This problem can be addressed through IUI infertility treatment procedure where IUI circumvents the cervical region and the sperm is deposited directly into the uterus.
• Ovulatory factors: Women having ovulatory disorders such as irregular ovulation, absence of ovulation can prefer IUI. Fertility medications and hormonal disorders treatment are initially given to induce ovulation. At the time of ovulation, the sperms are placed in the woman’s uterus.
• Use of donor sperms: When the couple is considering the use of donor sperm to conceive, IUI can be an option where fresh or frozen sperm can be used to achieve pregnancy where the frozen sperms are thawed before use. Single mothers too can choose IUI through the donor sperm option.
• Semen allergy: Very rarely, the semen protein allergy can cause infertility. This sensitive allergic reaction can cause swelling, redness, and burning sensation when the semen gets in contact with the woman’s skin. In such cases, the sperms are separated from the semen sample and inserted into the woman’s uterus through IUI to avoid such allergic reactions.
• Retrograde ejaculation:Retrograde ejaculation is the condition where the ejaculate moves backward into the bladder instead of moving out of the penis. In men with this condition, the sperms are surgically extracted and used in ICSI.
• Unexplained infertility:IUI is generally considered as the first line of treatment in conditions where infertility causing reason is not known. IUI is done along with ovulation induction procedures for better outcomes.
Treatment for blocked fallopian tubes at OMYA
At OMYA Infertility Centre in Delhi, the significant indications of IUI are detected with various diagnostic tests that help assess accurately and provide the IUI fertility treatment for the underlying infertility condition.