Hormonal disorders in Men
Hormones are chemical messengers that play a significant role in causing numerous metabolic activities within our body. These are also essential for the development of sexual characteristics, aging, and fertility.
Fertility hormones in men produced by the hypothalamus, testes, and pituitary glands work in coordination with the nervous system. Hormones ensure proper and timely development of reproductive organs, their functioning, along with the development of secondary sexual characteristics. In men, the whole set of androgens (male hormones) particularly, testosterone play a key role right from puberty.
While testosterone concentrates on libido, muscular strength, bone density, and sperm production, the other male hormones are necessary for facial and body growth, bone and muscle development, masculine voice, development of genitals, etc. The hormonal variations can disrupt the immune response system by disturbing the hypothalamic- pituitary-gonadal axis causing a plethora of conditions ranging from structural deformities of the genitals and their improper functioning.
Symptoms of hormonal variations in men:
Hormonal imbalances can be due to excess or deficiency of the hormones leading to various symptoms as below:
- Reduced sexual drive
- Male pattern baldness
- Inability to attain sexual climax
- Erection problems
- Excessive sweating
- Development of breasts (gynecomastia)
- Memory issues with less concentration
- Reduced bone and muscle mass
Androgen deficiency is called andropause can start from a pre puberty stage in young boys. This condition is called hypogonadism.
Also Read : Male Infertility Meaning In Hindi
Causes of hormonal disorders in Men:
- Presence of tumors, infections, or disorders of the hormone-producing glands including the hypothalamus, testicles, and pituitary gland.
- Genetic conditions like Klinefelter’s syndrome are also one of the reasons for hormonal variations.
- Undescended testicles, testicular injury, testicular torsion, etc can lead to hormonal imbalances.
- Exposure to radiation during treatments such as radiotherapy, chemotherapy, can cause variations of hormones.
- The presence of metabolic disorders such as diabetes, etc too can cause hormonal discrepancies.
Treatment for hormonal disorders in Men:
A thorough diagnosis can be done through a complete hormonal assay, imaging techniques to check the status of the reproductive organs, semen analysis, genetic testing, and testicular biopsy.
Treatment options include:
- Hormone replacement therapy : Hormonal therapies like testosterone replacement therapy, pituitary hormone administration can be considered to improve hormone levels and treat hormonal conditions. Treatments can be in the form of gels, injectable pellets, injections, etc.
- Surgery and medications : Surgical removal of tumors and infections to treat infections causing hormonal disorders.
Also Read : Cost Of Male Fertility Test
Hormonal imbalance treatment in Delhi at OMYA
OMYA fertility treatment center is adorned by varied specialists including andrologists, endocrinologists who treat various hormonal conditions and male infertility conditions. Connect with the best Hormonal imbalance Doctor who can help you with your hormonal disorders.