The cosmos of fertility treatment connects you to a panorama of terminologies. In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) and Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection, ICSI treatment are two terminologies of assisted reproductive methodologies that are similar yet different from each other.
What is IVF?
IVF is the most widely adopted fertility treatment where the gametes retrieved from the couple are allowed to fuse in a petri dish. The embryo obtained as a result of fertilization is safely placed in the uterus of the woman.
What is ICSI?
ICSI is a revolutionary ART procedure where a single sperm is picked up and injected into the ovum under a magnifying microscope. The embryo obtained is transferred into the woman’s uterus via the IVF procedure.
Similarities between IVF and ICSI
The similarities between IVF and ICSI can be illustrated below.
- Both ICSI and IVF are ART procedures used to treat infertility problems.
- The procedure of retrieval of egg and sperm can be the same for both IVF and ICSI.
- The fertilization process in ICSI and IVF takes place outside the female reproductive tract.
- The embryo formed as a result of ICSI and IVF are placed in the woman’s uterus similarly.
- Donor sperm/ egg/ surrogacy can be considered in both ICSI and IVF.
How are IVF and ICSI different?
Apart from the abbreviation and definition, the other differences between ICSI and IVF are:
- ICSI is a relatively new method compared to IVF
- In IVF, the eggs and sperms are mixed in a petri dish and allowed to fertilize. In ICSI, more accurate fertilization is achieved by directly injecting the sperm into the center of the egg.
- For IVF, a considerable amount of eggs and sperm are required to increase the IVF success probabilities. In ICSI, only a few numbers of eggs and sperm are enough to carry out the procedure.
- In IVF, The sperms fertilize the egg on their own while in ICSI, the sperms are assisted to fertilize.
- ICSI gives you an option to select the mature egg and sperm based on their morphological and physical characteristics whereas in IVF the fertilization process does not need selection of gametes.
- ICSI works in combination with IVF to accomplish the fertility treatment protocol. But, IVF can be performed as an individual procedure or combined with other advanced ART procedures.
- IVF can treat a spectrum of male and female fertility factors. ICSI can majorly treat male fertility factors along with fertilization issues.
- ICSI is specifically preferred to IVF procedure when preimplantation genetic screening of embryos is to be performed.
- IVF is used when other fertility treatments do not give the desired result. ICSI is considered after a previous fertilization failure or an IVF failure for better results.
Both IVF and ICSI are effective fertility treatments that can be considered to fulfill the dream of a healthy child. Connect with us at OMYA fertility center to begin your fertility journey and replenish the goal of parenthood through IVF and/or ICSI.